Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Traditons

Way back in the day, Christmas Eve was spent at my grandma Hale's home. Remembering these precious times gives me huge warm fuzzy's! She always made a ham, cole slaw, rolls and decorated Christmas cookies. She also made weird stuff like oyster stew and bread pudding loaded with boiled raisins. Had she left out the raisins it would have been delicious...her rum sauce was to die for. Of course the aunts, uncles and cousins came. We usually played games. "Pit" was the game I remember playing most. I can still hear grandmas high, gravelly voice..."corner on rye!" She had a tree set up which we helped decorate and we sang carols around the piano. Later in the evening the presents were brought out. Grandma sometimes made crocheted slippers for the grandkids. They were great for sliding around on the kitchen floor. That kind of shortened the life of the slippers, but oh well! There was always a fire in the fireplace. After the presents were opened we threw the gift wrap into the fire. Our faces got so hot! It was a pyros paradise...except that it was contained. We usually left about midnight. As we travelled home I swear I could see Rudolph's nose gleaming in the distance.

Christmastime doesn't seem to hold the magic of my youth. But I still feel the love of family and togetherness, which is the most important. I try to reflect on the Savior and his miraculous life and try to behave as he would. So, my wish for you, is to have a beautiful Christmas, centered in the life of Him who we owe all our love and gratitude.

Merry Christmas!!!

Quotes from A Christmas Carol

"Mankind was my business" Jacob Marley

"I am not the man I was. I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future. The Spirits of all three shall strive within me."

Ebenezer Scrooge

4 comments:

Carla said...

What a beautiful memory! I remember those crocheted slippers. My Mom would make those too and I loved slipping and sliding around!

Laura said...

I am jealous that you have all those memories. I don't remember anything like that. I was too little.

Beki said...

I love hearing people's traditions or old traditions for Christmas....Maybe because I'm trying to set my own? How fun!

Mamma Jaq said...

It is so great to know that you had such wonderful memories of Christmas with Grandma and Grandpa Hale. I am so thankful for the times that we got together with all of Dad's family. They are cherished memories.